May is National Foster Care Month, join us in acknowledging foster parents, family members, volunteers, mentors, child welfare professionals, and other members of the community who help children in foster care find permanency.
There are many ways that you can influence the lives of foster parents and children in Kenosha County. We’ve highlighted a few below:
- Impact a child’s life: become a foster parent!
Kenosha County is seeking new foster families. Recent figures have shown an 18% increase in the number of children placed in foster care in Kenosha County.
- We have an urgent need for families that can care for siblings and school age youth. As recently as the summer of 2017, 112 children in out of home care were between the ages of 5-11 years.
- We also have a large need for respite, emergency, and short-term homes. Respite homes can provide a break for children and families who can use some space or coverage and care for a child whose placement family may need to travel. Emergency and short-term homes can provide a warm bed, an open heart, and a hot meal for a child for who comes into care on an emergency basis for just a day or two, while a longer-term home is identified.
- Fostering can be flexible; you can choose what type of fostering works best for you and your family. Foster homes play a crucial role in helping families and children in Kenosha County!
- Become a community partner!
Community relationships are essential to supporting, finding, and retaining foster families.
- Does your agency have a service that foster youth might enjoy? Consider donating a coupon, discount, or free pass to children in care.
- Does your agency have the capacity to do a large amount of printing, product production, or advertisement? Partner with our recruitment team! We attend many community events and can always use assistance with obtaining handouts, brochures, small promotional items, and t-shirts! Or help us advertise within your agency or department!
- Presenting for 15 minutes in your workplace can help to answer questions about fostering and help grow the cause.
- Sponsor a Foster Care Awareness Week within your organization. You could host a silent auction, have employees donate items that a foster families would appreciate, or donate a basket to be given away at our Foster Parent Appreciation Banquet in May.
- Donate Financially
CIP is always seeking gift certificates for major retailers and local restaurants. Such certificates may be used in situations where there is an emergency placement of a child, for our foster parent appreciation banquet, or as a part of various recruitment efforts.
If you have been thinking about fostering or getting more involved in supporting foster parents and children in our community, this is a great time to take the next step. You can start today by sending us a message with your name, address, phone number, and interest. We will mail you out an information packet and application to get started.