Congratulations! Your business is booming and your staff is growing, and you even found the perfect new location to relocate your office. That’s the good news! Now you have to plan and execute your move. It’s hard to know where to start.
To help make the process a little more manageable, we created a list of steps to help guide you. Even if you are moving on short notice, these tips should help take your move from “ow” to “wow”:
A MONTH OR MORE BEFORE THE MOVE
- Reserve a moving company for your move as soon as you know your business is moving. You can always change the date!
- Ask us for a free, no-obligation on-site estimate.
- Consider if you will pack yourself or if you need professional help. Professionals can pack up your business at a standard hourly rate and they use high quality supplies.
- Purchase packing supplies. Your mover can deliver those for free and they have them available in their office
- Start to clean out closets, extra meeting rooms and file cabinets.
- Host a community sale or donate the unneeded items to charity.
- Get change of address cards from your local post office.
- Notify your building owner, clients, magazines, charge accounts, suppliers and all other organizations of your change of address.
- This may be a great opportunity to update software or technology.
ONE TO TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Label moving boxes according to person, location and/or item. Once the boxes are moved, this will be helpful.
- Cancel newspapers, security, cleaning help, lawn and/or indoor maintenance and any other services you receive.
- Devise a floor plan of the cubicles in your office and the new floor layout.
- If you have large equipment that needs to be unhooked professionally to prepare for moving, contact electricians and/or plumbers and schedule that.
THE WEEK OF THE MOVE
- Encourage employees to clean out their spaces.
- Unplug copiers, computers, printers and any other electronic items.
THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE
- Conduct a pre-move conference with managers.
- Let all employees know their roles and responsibilities for the move.
- Limit employee participation on move day.
Moving is always stressful for everyone involved. Once the dust settles and you’re safely in your new location, consider hosting a celebration to kick off continued success in the new facility.
This advice is courtesy of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, the largest franchised moving company in the United States and internationally. Our local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK opened their doors in 2011 and have doubles in size since. They work hard to ensure their customers choose them every time they move. Check them out online or call (262) 619-9200.